Friday, March 25, 2016

Possible Project?

A couple of things since the start of the year have given me thoughts of making a CNC laser for light duty (pardon the pun).  First, Come and Make It posted about a 40W CO2 laser he was working with.  Then, about 10 days later, while wandering around the Orlando Hamcation, I stumbled across a small business that uses a small CNC laser to produce laser-engraved (burned) wood products as little gifts for hams.  As far as I know, that doesn't require a lot of power, but the prospects of a laser paying for itself (eventually) is appealing.

I've always been the kind of person that can put an idea on a mental back burner and not pay conscious attention to it, but ideas will simmer back there and pop forward into my brain without calling for them.  So this idea went onto a back burner.

Meanwhile, I'd notice things like a laser engraver made from the laser in a DVD writer on YouTube (there are several).  Then the step up in burning power to the blue lasers from a Blu Ray player.

This morning, I ran into this little project on Instructables, while bouncing around in Pinterest. 
MDF "plywood", an arduino controller, and powered by a 1.8 W blue LED.  (More info here) 1.8 W sure isn't going to do what 40W can, but as low-cost, entry drug, it just might do.

The back burner is starting to boil over.  I have an X/Y platform; it's called my CNC Sherline.  I don't have any immediate need to engrave a large plaque, so work area isn't an immediate concern.  But how hard would it be to replace the motor and headstock on my Sherline mill with something to hold one of these "couple of watt" blue laser diodes?  It would take a bit of learning to know how to turn the laser off and on, but learning is what we're here for, right?  A constant-current power supply?  That's home field; I can design those in my sleep (and I think I have).  How hard can it be?  (ooo Right up there with "what could go wrong" or "all you gotta do")  Hey!  I've got a junk DVD writer around here somewhere...


10 comments:

  1. But do you have a junk Blu-Ray writer and there somewhere? Or will you be satisfied with the power output from the DVD writer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only downside of not being a movie or video watcher is that I've never bought a Blu-Ray anything. I have DVD writers because they came in various computers I've bought. (And I've used them to record data, backups, or the latest TAILS distribution).

      Chances are I'd get one of that guy's ~2W blue laser diodes.

      Delete
  2. Bright idea!
    I look forward to following this project.
    And I wonder if engraving cedar would smell good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing missing would be the smell of smoked salmon on the cedar!

      Delete
    2. If you get a big enough laser, you can have that as well...
      }:-]

      Delete
  3. Doesn't the Sherline headstock have T-slots on the sides and top? mount a small module there, if the T-slots are available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the Taig is the micro mill with the T-slots on the head. But I have a headstock spacer (to give 2 more inches on the Y axis) that could be pressed into service, with a little less work than making a new one from scratch.

      If nothing else, the dimensions could be lifted from one of these and another built.

      Delete
    2. I took a look at the Sherline page. If (big if) I got the mill correct, then there is a 10MM or so hole down the spindle.
      Could you mount the laser above the spindle and shoot down through the centerline of the spindle?

      Delete
    3. It's a Morse taper (MT1), so not straight walled, but that's something I've thought of. I don't know the diameter of the laser diode holders, so there's that, but if everything worked out size-wise, I could see a little power supply box on the top of the head stock, with the laser mounted in the taper.

      Delete
    4. Then all you'd need is a shark:
      http://tinyurl.com/zdwv93r
      !!!
      }:-]

      Delete