Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I Note In Passing

I note in passing that it's turning into fall for most of the country.  Well, it's turning into fall here, too, but you'd never notice it.  Fall just means the humidity is a bit lower, and it's not fully Crematoria.  It's averaging low to mid 70s at daybreak to mid 80s for the high.  We've had a couple of days where the low approached 60, but nothing you'd consider a "chill". 

And I note that the outdoors shops are running a flannel sale.  If we have a "flannel season" in the Silicon Swamp, it's a week or two in January but probably not two consecutive weeks.  I think there have been stretches of maybe a full five days where it was called for.  I have a flannel chamois shirt I bought a few years ago; I'd be surprised if I've worn it 5 days. 

Meanwhile, since I was overcome with some busy today, my favorite cartoon of the week:
 

3 comments:

  1. Here on Mau at sea level,i I crave those chilly days. Not that I expect any sympathy whatsoever. But a respite from sweating is nice. Someday I'll move up to 3000' on Haleakala where you need a wood stove and hot tub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought Maui near the water was pretty close to 80 all year, which is pretty sweet compared to around here. Can you fill me in on reality?

    I'm guessing it's not very far in physical distance up Haleakala, but maybe a long way in real estate prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on the north shore so the trade winds help, but July-Sept are upper 80s, with the odd Sept day in the mid-90s. When the wind stops it can be rough. Equatorial, swampy (Florida summer) air invades.

    Electricity is 4x the cost on the mainland so AC is used sparingly. Without it the house gets pretty toasty, esp in the afternoons...90 or so.

    At sea level, winter is perfect. 62-65 at night, and 80-82 during the day. Squalls roll in at night from the north. Perfect sleeping weather, and when you wake up the yard is extra green from all the rain.

    Up on the mountain you have a range of growing zones. The Hana to Haiku side gets 100-200+ inches of rain/year. While Kula to Ulupalakua on the lee side are drier but enjoy the same cool air. Needless to say, the views are world class too.

    Mark Twain claimed that Kula has the best climate on earth. I am inclined to agree. Ten degrees cooler than the coast, so the heat of summer has its edge knocked off. Cool enough in winter to use a hot tub and wood stove.

    I'm working on getting up there. Might need to trade in my lifted Tacoma with 35 inchers though. It gets 14 mpg on flat ground, and gas is $4,50/gl.

    Good folks out here. A small but dedicated patriot contingency, and I can leave my doors unlocked. Manners are expected, and almost always received.

    ReplyDelete