Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Well, I Ain't Never...

I was poking around the musical side of the intertoobs tonight and discovered something I've never seen before.
As they used to say where I grew up, well I ain't never seen nothin' like that before...

That's called a harp guitar, and the artist playing it is Muriel Anderson, one of the virtuosos of the instrument and a very accomplished musician.  You'll note this particular harp guitar has 12 strings, but isn't a conventional 12 string guitar, which has all of the stings in the space of the single neck.  The harp strings can't be shortened with frets, like the six on the guitar neck.  That leaves them as single bass notes or drone strings, if you prefer.  You can search YouTube for videos to hear what they sound like, or I can direct you to this one by Muriel.


2 comments:

  1. Austin, TX's local favority for harp guitar is Adam Carney http://www.adamcarneymusic.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. Listened to some of his sample music. The harp guitar lends itself to a neat instrumental style.

      Delete